About the Foundation for Medical Research, Mumbai
The Foundation for Medical Research (FMR) was established in 1975 as a Public trust and is recognized as a national research organisation by the Government of India. It is affiliated to Mumbai University for post-graduate/doctoral degrees. The Foundation has permanent recognition u/s 35(i)(ii) of the Income Tax Act which enables the donors to avail of tax exemption.
FMR practices a combination of basic biomedical and translational research. Its traditional research areas are leprosy, tuberculosis and medicinal plants. Newer focus areas being developed include environmental health and malnutrition.
Pioneering work in neurobiology of leprosy has had significant implications for treatment and nerve regeneration. Field surveys highlighted the re-emergence of leprosy and operational gaps in its control.
A seminal contribution towards the fight against TB was the warning of high levels of multidrug-resistant TB in Mumbai and definitions of mechanisms of rapidly acquired drug resistance. Current work aims to reduce TB transmission by airborne infection control practices.
Development of innovative assays and standardisation approaches has identified promising anti-diarrhoeal and anti-TB plants. This has led to a roadmap for modernization of traditional plant-based medicine.
FMR is expanding its skillsets in technologies for both laboratory and field-based research.
KEY FEATURES OF THE FOUNDATION:
- It is recognized as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- It is Exempt from payment of Income Tax u/s 10 (21).
- Permanent Exemption u/s 35(i)(ii) for its donors
- Permanent recognition from the University of Bombay for the training of post-graduate and doctoral students in Applied Biology, Microbiology and Biochemistry, through 3 recognized research guides on its staff. So far, a total of 67students have obtained their post graduate degrees.
- With over 285 peer-reviewed publications to its credit, the Foundation has attracted donations of Rs.6.75 crores and a sum of Rs.16.57 crores as Research Projects since its inception.
- The senior faculty have been recipients of several national and international awards and hold professional / advisory positions including Planning Commission, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, AYUSH, PHFI, University of Mumbai, ACTREC, Dabur, Leprosy Mission.
- The Foundation is a referral institute for clinical research in leprosy and was designated as a quality assurance centre for sputum Microscopy TB Control Programme by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). It was awarded a grant as a Virtual Centre for Excellence in TB research by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India (2007 – 2012)
- The Foundation today possesses basic equipment for biomedical research of Rs.3.50 crores and possesses facilities such as upgraded P-2 level containment rooms for advanced work with infectious agents, animal house, library with internet connection, histopathology and electron microscopy, tissue culture and good clinical back-up.
© 2015 Foundation for Medical Research | Contact Us
Site Design Mihika Shilpi